Four Seasons has partnered with the Palliative Care Association of Zambia (PCAZ) through the Foundation for Hospices in Sub-Saharan Africa to provide compassionate end-of-life care.
· Zambia is a country in the central southern region of Africa. It is about six times the size of North Carolina, with roughly the same number of people at around 13 million.
· The average life expectancy is 48 years, about half that of North Carolinians, and one of the lowest in Africa.
· Having been hit hard by the HIV/AIDS epidemic, one million people are living with this disease, while only 25 percent have access to medications.
· There is a high death rate from malaria, tuberculosis and cancer.
· There are limited resources – 780 doctors for the whole country (one per 16,700 people) compared to over 22,300 in North Carolina.
· There are few medications and a lack of training and education.
A tremendous opportunity exists to make a difference in the care that is delivered.
Why has Four Seasons chosen this partnership?
“This partnership fits in well with our core values of excellence and compassion – we dream big, and believe compassion has no borders”, says Dr. Janet Bull, Chief Medical Officer at Four Seasons.
Four Seasons has partnered with The Foundation for Hospices in Sub Saharan Africa because their mission aligns with ours; in providing compassionate care for those in need. With their assistance, Four Seasons partnered with the Palliative Care Association of Zambia:
FHSSA - http://www.fhssa.org
PCAZ - http://www.pcaz.org.zm
- Our motto: Reach out, give back and pay it forward; be the change you want to see in the world. -
What is Four Seasons' Role?
The partnership will focus on improving access to quality palliative care throughout Zambia. Palliative Care is supportive care focused on the relief of suffering by providing good pain and symptom control, and support for families and caregivers.
For more information about sponsorship opportunities to allow our partners to attend the conference or volunteer opportunities where you can get involved directly with the Zambia project, please contact us.
Question or Comments: